Grantham Town Reserves bounced back with a 1-0 win
This photograph was printed in the Journal 25 years ago to mark an upturn in fortunes for Grantham Town Reserves.
The Gingerbreads’ second team were on a poor run of form but turned a corner with an impressive home victory against Mackworth United.
Striker Mario Aloi made the difference. The striker scored with what the Journal described as a “searing shot” to secure maximum points for Grantham.
The reserve side were also boosted by the return Andy Ryder. The defender helped Grantham keep a clean sheet in their 1-0 win.
Praise was also reserved for Town’s goalkeeper Bob Newham who made a fine one-on-one stop moments after Grantham had gained the lead.
Back (from left): Mark Arnold, Jes Creasy, Dave Rodgers, Cameron Miles, Martin Ryder, Chris Bell, Rick Whitaker; Front (from left) Mark Shafer, Simon Daws, Mario Aloi, Jon Morley, Mark Vaughan, Steve Hunter and Steve Wing.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal columnist: Jacob Stuart
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North