Memory Lane: Looking back
10 Years Ago
* Plans were announced for a new 80-place nursery next to Spitalgate Primary School.
* Only 644 people out of 24,800 eligible voters cast their vote for or against a town council.
* MP Douglas Hogg spoke out against military intervention in Iraq while the Rev Tony and the Rev Chris Andrews voiced concerns.
* Charnia Weightman of Marston became the British bob skeleton champion.
25 Years Ago
* Bob Carolgees and the “Surprise! Surprise!” team were at Belvoir Castle to surprise Stan Stanyard.
* A business owner was forced to shut up shop after thieves broke in and stole more than £15,000 worth of items. Owner Paul Whitworth said: “They took too much for me to carry on.”
* Woolsthorpe Reserves called on veterans after an exodus of players following the previous week’s 15-0 defeat.
50 Years Ago
* “The longest continuing cold spell since the 1890s” brought building work to a standstill causing workers to be set off.
* Grantham champion baker Frank Webster caused a stir with his call for Christmas Day to be on the fourth Sunday in December rather than December 25.
* Three children aged under four were rescued from a house fire in Ryde Avenue, Grantham by neighbours.
100 Years Ago
* “Exceptionally heavy” snowstorms hit Grantham with snowdrifts of several feet being reported. A roadman died near his home in Stroxton after being caught in the freezing weather on his way home from Grantham.
* A train on its way to Grantham crashed at Corby but nobody was seriously injured.
* Grantham Avenue travelled all the way to Peterborough only to be told their game was snowed off.
- Ex-police cadet from Grantham who filmed himself raping a child is jailed for 16 years
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- UPDATE: Seven-year prison term for Grantham man who slashed victim’s face with a knife
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 3 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North west