Spotlight on Gingerbreads programmes from the 1960s
These Grantham Town programmes were sent our way by Mr Weavers who picked them up for a pittance in a Newark junk shop.
One of the programmes is from November, 1965 when The Gingerbreads were facing Long Eaton and the other is undated - but as the style is similar and the price 1d cheaper at 3d we think it may be from the year before.
The 1965 programme contains a “Manager’s Notes” column by Terry Bly who congratulated Mike Alexander on his four goals the previous week against Hendon and looked forward to a cup tie against Swindon Town. He wrote about Swindon: “On whom I shall be “spying” this afternoon in the hope of finding a way in which we can get into the hat with the “Big Boys”.”
Also in the same programme, Town fans were warned to book their tickets early as Swindon Town had approached Grantham looking for 6,000 away tickets. Mr Weavers was particularly keen to point out the attendances for Grantham’s games in the early 1960s were usually around the 1,600 mark, while the fixture at home to Hendon saw 4,318 at the game.
The second programme was for Town’s game against Stamford on Monday, September 7. Included was the news of the departure of player-manager Rayner to Notts County.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North