Regular Memory Lane contributor Mike Matsell brought in this photo from around 1950 which the Journal believes is of Grantham Road Club’s annual day trip to Skegness.
The racing members contested a Grantham to Skegness time trial, whilst family, friends and supporters boarded a bus and headed to the coast to meet up with their two-wheeled clubmates at the finish.
It was in the days of Grantham cycling racing legend Jack O’Connor who had a bike shop in Welby Street.
When Jack closed his shop, another keen cyclist, Don Ray, opened up a store at the bottom of Swinegate.
But the O’Connor family’s involvement with cycling shops lives on today in Chris O’Connor’s establishment in Watergate.