Sean Penn action film blasts on to the Grantham Reel screen
A new film starring Sean Penn has blasted on to the Reel screen.
Gangster Squad (15) is a rip-roaring, blast ‘em up action movie which will act as an antidote to the more ‘theatrical’ films that are also showing at the Reel over the next week in Les Miserables and Quartet.
Ruben Fleischer’s film also stars Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte and Emma Stone. It is based to some extent on fact and tells the story of Los Angeles police officers who formed a group called the Gangster Squad Unit in an attempt to protect the city from Mickey Cohen and his gang in the 1940s and ‘50s.
If you are a big fan of the stage-set musical Les Miserables, there is no doubt the film will win you over as well. Predicted to break box office records, as it has theatre records, Tom Hooper’s film has all the grand pomp and ceremony of the West End musical but of course given a much wider canvass. Russel Crowe, Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway all sang ‘live’ for the film and it seems it is no worse for that. Most critics have lapped it up and so be sure of a long run at the Reel.
Also showing at the Reel this weekend are: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (12A), Pitch Perfect (12A), Rise of the Guardians (PG) and Hotel Transylvania (U).
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 7 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: South west