PLANS for two blocks of flats to be built at the former Manthorpe Lodge site were rejected at a heated planning committee meeting on Tuesday.
If accepted, the proposal would have seen a total of 22 flats built on the site at the junction of Lodge Way and Manthorpe Road but district councillors on the development control committee ignored the advice of planning officers and voted 14 to one against the development.
The vote was yet another defeat for Hungerton Developers. The company had previously seen plans for a 24-flat development rejected, while an appeal was also unsuccessful.
Coun Ray Wootten, who represents the ward, spoke out against the proposal.
He told the committee: “This new application and the subsequent altered plans do not offer a development for which is a prominent, elevated and strategically important entrance to Grantham.
“This application is visually intrusive and out of keeping with the character, appearance and the scale of dwellings in the vicinity.”
People living in Lodge Way and Manthorpe Road took turns arguing against the proposal.
Veronica Wheeler of Lodge Way told the committee that despite living yards from the planned development she had never been consulted on the plans.
However, David Defusto of Hungerton Developers said letters were sent out on numerous occasions asking for meetings but “all were refused, every single one of them”.
The plans were rejected because of the effect on the appearance and character of the area.
Speaking after the vote, Coun Wootten said: “It’s been a long journey for a very important site in Grantham and I hope the developers do take on board the strong feelings the committee gave and perhaps submit a development more in keeping with the character of the area.”
David Defusto of Hungerton Developments said the company have not given up on the plans.
He added: “There will be further consultation with the powers that be to see where we go from there.”