Plans for 1,000 home Grantham development rejected

0
Have your say

COUNCIL planners shot down an application by developers looking to build 1,000 homes in Manthorpe.

But developers could yet re-submit proposals.

If it had been given the go-ahead, the Larkfleet Homes development would have seen 1,000 homes built on land south of Belton Lane and west of the A607 and Manthorpe village.

The outline plan would also have seen a new primary school built along with a retirement community, a neighbourhood centre, a health facility and a hotel and pub.

However, South Kesteven District Council’s development control committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to reject the proposals, with the main criticism being the impact on the already stretched Grantham road network.

Coun for Manthorpe, Ray Wootten, took issue with some of the facts and figures put forward by the developers in their transport assessment.

Coun Wootten said: “(The report states) That during the AM peak, queues (on the A607) are amongst the shortest of any major approach roads to the town centre.

“Clearly they have never sat in a queue that stretches from outside the village of Manthorpe to the town centre on most weekdays.”

Coun Geoff Thompson, speaking on behalf of people living in Gonerby, said the development, if accepted, would see many people using Belton Lane and its humpback bridge as a “rat run” to get to the A1.

He said: “Grantham’s existing east/west relief road, otherwise known as Belton Lane, is inundated with traffic and anyone fool enough to believe that traffic from this development will have a minimal affect is living in cloud cukoo land.”

Tony Aspbury, speaking on behalf of the developers, said the Manthorpe proposal was no more likely to cause traffic problems than two other major possible developments which have been included in the Grantham Growth Point bid - the North West Quadrant (Poplar Farm) and the Southern Quadrant.

Mr Aspbury said: “If the council has concerns then maybe the Growth Point should not have been pursued.”

Speaking after the meeting, Mr Aspbury said the decision was “disappointing but not unexpected”. However, he did not rule out the possibility of altering and re-submitting the application in the future.