Carelessness when cooking can cause fires

<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
<SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA>
0
Have your say

IN the past two months, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue has attended a number of fires which have started in the kitchen and appear to be caused by careless use of cooking appliances.

The reminders below should ensure a safe kitchen for yourself and your family:

- Keep electrical leads from trailing over or going near the cooker.

- Don’t hang tea towels or cloths on or over the cooker.

- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean.

- Don’t put anything metallic inside the microwave.

- Don’t dry clothes, dishcloths or tea towels in the microwave.

- Take care if you are wearing loose clothing.

- Avoid being distracted. Most kitchen fires occur when people leave things unattended.

- If you’re called away from the cooker take pans off the heat.

- Don’t cook if you’re affected by alcohol or prescription drugs.

- Turn saucepan handles so they don’t stick out (and aren’t over another ring).

- Keep the oven door shut.

- Don’t put oven gloves or tea towels down on the cooker after you’ve used them.

- Always clean the grill pan after using it.

- Ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home - test your smoke alarms weekly.

- Practice an escape plan and make sure family and visitors know what to do in an emergency.

- Never leave cooking unattended and avoid cooking whilst drunk.

- Always turn off kitchen appliances when finished with.

- Don’t overload sockets.

- And finally, in the event of fire - Get out, Stay out and Call 999.

Station Officer Andy Ford