Firefighters delivered a Christmas gift to the Grantham Journal team this week.
Inside was a charred Christmas stocking and stark images showing the damage that fires can cause.
Not your usual festive gift, but one that could save lives this Christmas.
Grantham’s team of firefighters have joined colleagues across the county in running a campaign to raise awareness and cut the number of Christmas-related incidents they are called to this year.
The fire and rescue service has issued five top tips for keeping safe over the festive period. They are:
* Make sure your smoke alarms work by testing them regularly
* Make an escape plan so that the family and visitors know how to get out if there is a fire
* Check Christmas tree lights – ensure they carry the British Safety Standard marque. Always replace faulty bulbs.
* Stand by your pan – don’t leave cooking unattended
* Invest in candle holders na dplace them on heat-resistant surfaces away from flammable materials.