A man who was found guilty in his absence at a trial has had his conviction set aside by magistrates.
Tony Muxlow, 28, of Princess Drive, Grantham, appeared in custody after failing to appear for a trial on November 5. He is accused of two assaults which he denied in March.
Bill Fraser, defending, said his client had no idea his trial had been put back to November and he had been assured by Mr Muxlow that he had not been informed of the adjournment.
The court heard that a trial date was originally set for July but a letter was sent to Mr Muxlow telling him it had been put back to November. The letter had been sent to an address in Oxford Street, but the court was told his address was now Princess Drive.
The magistrates decided to set aside Mr Muxlow’s conviction “in the interests of justice” and adjourned the case to November 24 before another trial date can be set.