Grantham court: Pair admit several offences

Court News.
Court News.
Have your say

A teenager and a man have pleaded guilty to several offences including burglary and handling stolen goods.

Christopher Gwither, 19, of Ivatt Court, Grantham, pleaded guilty to the burglary of a shed in Rosemary Crescent, Grantham, with intent to steal on January 31, and to handling stolen goods, namely a laptop computer valued at £400 belonging to Lincolnshire County Council, in Westgate between September 26 and November 1.

Alan John Moore, 21, of Sturrock Court, Grantham, pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods, namely a laptop, between September 26 and November 1, and a television valued at £500 on October 20. He also admitted to stealing a Claud Butler bicycle, worth £350, from an address in Harlaxton Road, Grantham, on January 31, and to the burglary of a shed in Thames Road, Grantham, on January 26.

Moore also admits three counts of criminal damage to the wing mirrors of cars parked in Alexandra Road, Grantham, on February 16.

Prosecuting, Daniel Pietryka said the laptop had been taken from a BMW and was later sold on in a shop in Grantham. Gwither and Moore admitted buying it for £20 and trying to sell it on later.

Mr Pietryka said the shed burglaries involved the defendants climbing over fences at the back of houses and breaking panels or locks to get into the sheds, but nothing was stolen from them. He said the bicycle was locked up in a garden and the chain was broken.

With regard to the criminal damage, Mr Pietryka said a party had been going on in Alexandra Road and complaints were made about it. Moore was seen walking along the road kicking out at parked vehicles. This led to him being arrested and he said he was extremely drunk and it had been out of character for him. He said he could not remember anything about the evening in relation to the damage. Mr Pietryka said Moore had caused damage valued at £15 to two vehicles and £68 to a third car.

Defending, Julian Sheen told the court that Moore had been out of trouble for five years and it was a concern that he had committed five offences, albeit three of them in rapid succession. As a result of the handling offences, Moore’s parents had thrown him out and he had lived rough over the winter. Recently he had joined the 12-week Prince’s Trust programme.

Mr Sheen said Gwither’s situation was more precarious because a suspended sentence had been imposed by the crown court together with a community order for the burglary of a house. Gwither had completed a period of unpaid work and had also joined the Prince’s Trust. He was living at home and things were more settled for him.

Magistrates sent Gwither’s case back to Lincoln Crown Court because that was where the suspended sentence was imposed. He was granted unconditional bail.

The magistrates ordered a pre-sentence report for Moore and adjourned his case until April 7. He was granted unconditional bail.