Grantham court: Taxi driver stopped motorist almost four times over the alcohol limit

Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Send your news to the Journal. E-mail:
Have your say

A motorist who was almost four times over the drink-drive limit had to be stopped by a taxi driver who stood in front of his car on a zebra crossing.

Waldemar Marcin Obrycki, 33, of Goodliff Road, Grantham, admitted drink driving on March 29 and also driving without a licence and without insurance.

Prosecuting, Daniel Pietryka said somebody had witnessed “appalling” driving by the defendant at 8pm in Trent Road, Grantham. He was driving very slowly, going up on to the kerb and crossing the white lines. The taxi driver stopped the car and took hold of the keys to prevent Obrycki from driving away.

The police were called and Obrycki failed a roadside breath test. A later reading at the police station showed 130 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Me Pietryka said Obrycki had been drinking in a bar before going home where he had some beers and whisky. He said the defendant was a provisional licence holder and a man of previous good character.

Defending, Stuart Wild told the court that Obrycki had been out with others before they returned to his shared accommodation. He said: “It was there he consumed a large amount of beer and whisky as he explained to the police.

“He was then persuaded to take the vehicle from Goodliff Road to the Costcutter store off Trent Road just a few hundred yards away.”

Mr Wild said Obrycki’s bad driving drew the attention of other road users and the taxi driver stepped on to the zebra crossing to stop his car.

He said there was no suggestion of speeding or dangerous driving.

The court was told Obrycki had been in the UK for four years and was working full-time at Moy Park in Grantham. He did not accept he drank on a daily basis, but when he did drink it was to excess and he was being assessed by Addaction.

Magistrates sentenced Obrycki to 18 weeks in prison suspended for 12 months. He was disqualified from driving for 34 months. He was also given a 12 month supervision order with a six month alcohol treatment requirement. He was fined £200 for driving without insurance and ordered to pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £80. There was no separate penalty for driving without a licence.