Grantham store TK Maxx fined after selling ‘dangerous’ phone charger

Send your news to the Journal. E-mail: comment@granthamjournal.co.uk

Send your news to the Journal. E-mail: comment@granthamjournal.co.uk

0
Have your say

A Grantham store has been hit with a fine after selling a dangerous phone charger to a customer.

Lincolnshire Trading Standards launched an investigation, which led to a prosecution at Grantham Magistrates’ Court this week, after hearing how a woman who bought a Venom Blackberry charger which fell apart in her wall. This left her exposed to dangerous electrical currents.

Lisa Foster, principal trading standards officer at the county council, said: “Retailers have a duty to make sure the products they sell are safe, but in this case officers found that TJX UK Ltd, through its UK TK Maxx stores, had been selling a brand of dangerous chargers which could have given a nasty shock - or worse - to anyone using them.”

TJX UK, the retailer, and Venom, the importer, both pleaded guilty to the two charges of supplying non-compliant electrical items and were fined £4,000 each. Costs of £5,613.22 were awarded to Trading Standards.