Inquest: Roofer from Stoke Rochford hid exposure to deadly asbestos

News from the Grantham Journal - granthamjournal.co.uk, @granthamjournal on Twitter, facebook.com/granthamjournal

News from the Grantham Journal - granthamjournal.co.uk, @granthamjournal on Twitter, facebook.com/granthamjournal

0
Have your say

A retired roofer who worked with asbestos was found to have died as a result of “industrial disease”.

William Seddon Taylor, of Bede Cottages, Stoke Rochford, died at Grantham Hospital on February 18 of this year, aged 75.

The inquest heard Mr Taylor had been suffering from mesothelioma - a cancer most commonly caused by exposure to asbestos.

On January 8 he was informed by a consultant oncologist he had incurable cancer. On being advised chemotherapy would only prolong his life by a few months, Mr Taylor declined the treatment.

He died a month later.

The inquest heard Mr Taylor had denied ever working with asbestos during his career as a roofer.

However, a statement was read out from a friend, Kenneth Poulton, who said Mr Taylor had told everyone, including Derbyshire Asbestos Support Team, that he had never worked with asbestos “because he did not want to get anyone into trouble”.

Derbyshire Asbestos Support Team provided Mr Taylor’s work history which showed he had been exposed to asbestos whilst working for Sidall’s Roofing between 1952 and 1954 and between 1956 and 1962, as well as while working for Bellamy Roofing of Grantham between 1970 and 1980.

In concluding the inquest, Deputy Coroner Richard Marshall said: “It seems to me clear on the evidence I have in front of me Mr Taylor was exposed to asbestos during the course of his working life in more than one period of employment, although we know from his friend Mr Poulton he was reluctant to admit this as apparently he did not want to get anybody into trouble.

“The reality is, on the balance of probabilities, this man’s death was as a result of his work record.”