Disabled man could not escape from Long Bennington house fire

House fire at Fen Lane, Long Bennington (Saturday, June 22, 2013).

House fire at Fen Lane, Long Bennington (Saturday, June 22, 2013).

0
Have your say

A 68-year-old disabled man who died after being unable to escape a fire in Long Bennington has been named locally as Peter Dore.

Mr Dore died of severe burns following the fire at his home in Fen Lane on Saturday afternoon. He was flown to hospital by air ambulance but later died of his injuries.

A neighbour, who also suffered burns, tried to rescue Mr Dore and pull him out of the house before emergency services arrived. Mr Dore was said to be semi bedbound.

Police have said there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the fire.

Sean Taylor, of Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “What took us by surprise was the extent of the fire when we arrived. It really was quite a ferocious fire.

“A neighbour had acted very bravely and entered the property in thick smoke and rescued the occupant, who we now know has tragically died.”

An inquest into Mr Dore’s death will be held.