Drug paraphernalia left in Grantham family’s garden

Used drug equipment found in garden on Clyde Court.
Used drug equipment found in garden on Clyde Court.
0
Have your say

A seven-year-old came within seconds of contamination by a drug user’s needle when she and her family returned to find their garden broken into and drug paraphernalia scattered by the children’s slide.

Bethany Morley, her parents and siblings had been away overnight for a wedding when they returned to their home on Clyde Court, Grantham at around 3pm on Sunday.

Jamie Firth managed to grab young Bethany Morley before she reached a used drugs needle, pictured with mum Jade.

Jamie Firth managed to grab young Bethany Morley before she reached a used drugs needle, pictured with mum Jade.

As her parents Jade and Jamie took their belongings out of the car, Bethany went into the garden and returned with two lighters unfamiliar to the couple.

Explaining that she had found them on their garden bench, Bethany then went back followed by her dad, who fortunately grabbed her just in time as she bent down saying ‘and there’s this’ and almost picked up a syringe and needle.

To the family’s horror as they looked around the garden they also discovered a spoon with a drug substance still in it, and signs of an attempted break-in of their shed.

Shocked by the scene, Jade Morley said: “A dirty drug user had cut through my garden whilst we weren’t here, sat next to my kids’ slide on our bench to shoot up, and then left their stuff in what you can clearly see is a kid’s garden.”

They rang the police, who advised them to contact the council and Environmental Health to arrange for the equipment to be removed.

However they were unhappy at having to wait until the next day for the items to be taken away, with Jamie using a sandwich box to keep them from the reach of not only Bethany but also six-year-old Cayne, Skye, five, and Macauley, aged just five months.

Ms Morley added:“If Bethany had touched the needle she could have ended up in hospital having tests for months. And I dread to think what would have happened if a child had licked the spoon. It’s disgusting that I now have to check my garden before my children can go out to play.”