Government minister praises Grantham school for exam performance
Walton Girls’ High School has been praised by the Minister of State for Schools after it achieved a top 100 place for its performance in GCSEs in 2012.
David Laws MP wrote to the school to congratulate it on the “excellent GCSE performance” of its pupils last year.
Mr Laws said: “There are many ways to assess school performance. On this occasion we have looked at the performance of pupils in five GCSEs: English and Mathematics, and the pupil’s three best other GCSEs.”
He told the school: “Your results show that you are amongst the 100 top performing schools in terms of the progress your pupils make between Key Stage 2 results and their GCSEs. Your school is exceptionally effective in educating its pupils.
“I would like to congratulate your staff, governors and pupils for their hard work and success and thank you for your leadership in continuing the drive towards high standards of educational achievement.”
Principal at Walton Girls’ Chris Horrocks said there had been a significant increase in the success rate in GCSEs over the previous year.
Mrs Horrocks said: “I am delighted to receive this letter from Mr Laws, which recognises the dedication of our staff and the hard work of both staff and students. It’s good to know we are in the top 100 performing schools and that we are performing well against national averages, and most importantly of all that we are providing an ‘exceptionally effective education’ to our students.”
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North