Ensure your electrical appliances are safe

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
0
Have your say

JUST because there’s no flame does not mean there’s no fire risk. Electrical appliances, plugs and cables that are old or poorly wired can be a real danger.

There are several things to check to ensure your appliances don’t put you at risk.

Plugs and sockets:

l Hot plugs or sockets, scorch marks, fuses that often blow and flickering lights are all are signs of loose wiring or electrical problems.

l Badly wired plugs – any coloured wires sticking out could come loose and debris could get into the plug.

l Use the correct size fuse.

l Overloaded sockets can overheat. Use a bar adaptor on a lead rather than a block adaptor and only use one adaptor per socket.

Cables and leads:

l Make sure the outer covering of all power leads is in good condition.

l They shouldn’t be anywhere that they could be tripped over, or near water, cookers or heat sources.

l Don’t run them under rugs or carpets where they can wear through without anyone noticing.

Electrical appliances:

l Never get them wet. Don’t put a vase of flowers on top of the TV.

l Never leave them on at night – unless they are designed to be left on, like freezers.

l Never put anything metal in the microwave.

l Electrical appliances, especially ones that run at high speeds and contain motors, like washing machines, should be serviced once a year by a qualified electrician.

by Grantham Fire Station

Officer Andy Ford,