Grantham Civic Society column: Changing faces at the vicarage

The vicarage as it was, with the Victorian extension.
The vicarage as it was, with the Victorian extension.
0
Have your say

The first census of 1841 shows Rev William Potchett as the vicar of Grantham, living at the vicarage.

He was vicar from 1817 until 1856. In the census, he was recorded as living with his son George, his daughter Mary and six servants. The Potchetts had at least nine children and, by William’s death, three of his sons were also vicars. During this time, the vicarage had a large Victorian extension, as can be seen from the aerial photograph.

As it is today, now known as the rectory.

As it is today, now known as the rectory.

In 1856 the vicar was George Maddison, the son of one of Rev Potchett’s college friends and was recommended to the position by him. At the time of the 1861 census, he was 61 years old and his wife Jane was 49. They lived with their son George, who was 8, and five servants. Rev Maddison was the vicar until 1874, when Rev Jacob Clements took over until 1879. The next vicar was Rev Cecil Edward Fisher, who held the post until 1883. He had at least 17 children, but the 1881 census had 9 children living with him, and 6 servants.

The next vicar recorded at the time of the censuses of 1891 and 1901 was Rev William Glaister, who had started his ministry at St Wulfram’s in 1883. He was a single man, who lived at the vicarage with 3 servants. He remained at the church until 1905, when he went to live in Southwell. The succeeding vicar, Welbourne McCarthy, left in 1910. Rev William Isaac Carr Smith appeared in the 1911 census. He lived in the vicarage with his sister Louisa, brother in law and niece, as well as 3 servants and a clergyman Douglas Smith, who boarded with him.