Grantham Civic Society Column: Secker House was a complex timber-framed building

Secker House was a timber-framed building.

Secker House was a timber-framed building.

0
Have your say

Secker House was situated immediately to the south of the Angel Inn.

It was a complex building occupying a single broad burgage plot. It was entirely timber-framed with the first floor jettied over the ground floor and the second floor over the first. The second floor was supported by a pair of large posts from ground level.

The Secker House was demolished in 1897 to make way for a Boots cash chemist next to the Angel and Royal Hotel.

The Secker House was demolished in 1897 to make way for a Boots cash chemist next to the Angel and Royal Hotel.

There was an internal panel with the date 1611, but the building was thought to be much older than that. The family lived at the Angel in the seventeenth century and in Thomas Secker’s will of 1651 he is called an Inn Keeper.

Their occupation of Secker House may date from after the Restoration when Edward Secker became Alderman in 1689. Edward Secker was an uncle to Archbishop Secker of Canterbury (1758-1768). When Benjamin Street wrote about the town in 1857, he said that the names of several members of the Secker family were written on the walls.

The house had latterly been a boot and shoe shop. The house was demolished in 1897 and Boot’s cash chemist was built on the site.