House fire in Princess Drive

editorial image
0
Have your say

A HOUSE in Princess Drive, Grantham was damaged by fire after a candle set fire to clothing.

The fire was reported to emergency services at 1.34pm on Saturday and two fire crews from Grantham were called out.

The fire caused severe damage to the first floor and there was also severe damage by heat and smoke.

- The Government has released a list of ten fire safety tips for the Christmas season:

1) Ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home. Test your smoke alarms weekly and never remove batteries to power presents!

2) Never leave cooking unattended and avoid cooking whilst drunk. The majority of fires start in the kitchen so this is a high risk area. Always turn off kitchen appliances when you have finished cooking.

3) Never leave candles unattended. Keep decorations, cards and wrapping paper away from candles, fires, lights and heaters.

4) Ensure you switch off fairy lights and unplug them before you go to bed, or leave the house. Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard (BS EN 60598).

5) Always use an RCD (residual current device) on outdoor electrical equipment (This safety device can save lives by instantly switching off the power if there is a fault and can be found in any DIY store).

6) Don’t overload sockets - ensure only one plug per socket. Always turn off plugs when they are not in use, except those that are designed to be left on, like freezers.

7) Make sure cigarettes are extinguished properly and never smoke in bed. Put it out, right out.

8) Check on older relatives and neighbours this Christmas to ensure their safety at this time of year.

9) Ask the experts - Many fire and rescue services in England offer free home fire risk checks to identify potential fire risks and advise what to do to reduce or prevent them. This may even include the free installation of a smoke alarm - the ideal gift for keeping your family safe.

10) And finally, in the event of fire: get out, stay out and call 999.