MORE than a dozen scholars have come together to create a detailed and in-depth look at a large part of the history of Grantham.
“The Making of Grantham: The Medieval Town” has been compiled from the work and thorough research of 15 scholars to form an almost 300-page Heritage Lincolnshire compendium.
The book is well illustrated with archive and contemporary images, as well as detailed sketches, maps, tables and much more.
Even those who are considered experts on Grantham will find something new, with the book promising to contain “many specially commissioned colour illustrations, and several views of buildings and streets are published here for the first time.”
Grantham historian Malcolm Knapp has written the preface for the book. In it, he writes: “Many visitors have been surprised by the size and beauty of St Wulfram’s church.
“Readers of this book will be equally surprised by the medieval history of this important, modern and busy Lincolnshire town: Hence the excitement and delight at its publication.”
As one would expect, St Wulfram’s is a focal point for much of the book, with three of the 15 chapters dealing specifically with the church.
Other chapters focus on the Angel and Royal, the market crosses and much more.
l The book is available via www.lincsheritage.org at a cost of £19.99 but the Journal has five free copies to give away.
Just answer this question: In what year was part of Grantham’s medieval hospital excavated?
A) 1991 - B) 2001 - c) 1881
Post your entry to the Journal, marked “The Making of Grantham Competition.”
Terms and conditions: http://www2.granthamtoday.co.uk/competitionrules.pdf