INQUEST: Grantham man died from drug overdose

0
Have your say

A man who suffered from an addiction to heroin died from a drug overdose, an inquest into his death heard.

James Mitchell, 35, died at his home in Shakespeare Avenue in Grantham on November 23.

A toxicology report found heroin, methadone and the pain-killer fentanyl in his system at the time of his death.

The inquest heard that Mr Mitchell was suffering great pain from leg ulcers for which he was taking fentanyl.

He also suffered from sleep apnea which was relieved somewhat through an oxygen machine to help him breath at night.

A statement was read out from Mr Mitchell’s father, also called James, who said he was aware of his son’s battle with heroin addiction.

He added: “On the morning of his death he did not go out of the house to my knowledge.

“I’m not aware of him taking heroin that day and I don’t know where he got it from. I can only assume he got it previously and stashed or hoarded it in his room.”

Mr Mitchell’s father also said that he had never known his son to take drugs to harm himself or attempt take his own life.

In summary, coroner Stuart Fisher said: “There is no evidence before me that he intended to take his own life in the form of a note or a discussion with a third party.

“For that reason the verdict is that he died as a result of non-dependant abuse of drugs.”