South Kesteven councillor John Smith apologises for untidy cemetery
I would like to respond to last week’s Journal article relating to the grass cutting of the graves at Grantham cemetery.
SKDC endeavours to maintain all its cemeteries to the highest standard; however, in this instance, there are a couple of factors which have resulted in this issue.
Firstly, as everyone is aware, this year’s summer has been exceptionally wet, which on occasions has made it impossible to mow and caused grass to grow at an alarming rate.
Secondly, this particular grave has a number of ornaments and lights on the grass. Lights and ornaments can, of course, be left by families, but by placing these items on the turf, it makes it extremely difficult for our contractors to avoid breakages. This is detailed in our terms and conditions.
Dignity, which operate Grantham cemetery, has been in contact with the family in this particular case to try to resolve the matter.
Once again, we apologise for any distress we may have caused.
Cllr John Smith
Portfolio Holder for Green, Healthy and Arts SKDC
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: West