Charles Read Academy pupil becomes part of Olympic history
SCHOOLBOY Oliver Handley was joined by family and friends as he ran 300m with the Olympic Torch on an unforgettable day in Bourne.
The Year 7 pupil at Charles Read Academy was nominated as a torchbearer by his school in recognition of his efforts in helping fellow pupils in lessons.
Oliver said: “At first I was a bit nervous but it was a lot of fun.”
On his return to school Oliver shared his experience with fellow pupils at a special assembly where other children were given the chance to hold the torch.
Mr Johnston, school Principal, praised Oliver’s achievement and told him how proud the school was to have a student who is part of Olympic history.
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- Ex-police cadet from Grantham who filmed himself raping a child is jailed for 16 years
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 3 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: North west