Councillor’s open letter: ‘Direction of EU is not in our national interest’
County councillor for Grantham North West Richard Davies has written in support of Lincolnshire County Council’s motion urging the Prime Minister to call a referendum on membership of the European Union:
Your readers may well be aware of the decision by Lincolnshire Conservatives, supported by Independent and liberal members of the County Council to call upon the Prime Minister to hold, by 2014, a National Referendum on our membership of the European Union is timely and incredibly important.
Here in Grantham and further afield the issue of our continuing members of the costly and undemocratic European Union is at the forefront of peoples minds. There is clearly a growing consensus that the direction of travel of the EU is not in our national interest.
For us, our first priority is to Lincolnshire and its residents and to our Country. Party allegiances correctly have to always take second place to doing the best we can for those we represent.
We have been clearly told by our communities that they want the issue of Europe to be determined and that can only be through the ballot box.
Europe is the defining issue of our age, only 27 per cent of today’s electorate were eligible to vote in the 1975 referendum about joining the common market. Many of these are tax payers who believe too many of those taxes are used to subsidise Europe.
The decision by Labour councillors not to support a referendum on this matter clearly speaks volumes about the modern day Labour party who believe in the European dream and having central control over all of our lives.
A vote for Labour will mean more Europe, not less.
The overwhelming reason to leave the EU is democracy, unlike much of Europe we have enjoyed a parliamentary democracy for centuries. In a few short years the EU has successfully reversed that, some estimate that 84 per cent of UK legislation is now set in Brussels not Westminster.
The British people must have a say on continued membership which is why I fully support Lincolnshire County Council’s call for a binding referendum on Europe in the very near future.
Coun Richard Davies
Lincolnshire County Council
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North