Doctor overcomes hallucinations to conquer the world’s hottest curry at Indian restaurant in Grantham
A consultant radiologist has become the first man to finish the world’s hottest curry - The Widdower on sale at Grantham’s own Bindi restaurant in London Road on Wednesday night (Jan 2).
The curry has been on sale for two years but restaurant owner Muhammad Karim said cardiologist Dr Ian Rothwell is the first person to ever finish the dish which has been attempted more than 300 times.
Mr Karim said he was shocked by how easily Dr Rothwell managed the curry which contains 20 infinity naga chillis grown by Grantham business Fire Foods.
Mr Karim said: “He did it nice and easy to be honest. He just came in and ate it, quite calm and collected...although he did start to hallucinate a bit! I think his wife was getting a bit panicked but the hallucinations are quite common with this dish.
“Most people can only manage two or three mouthfuls and that’s it.”
As well as the 20 Infinity naga chillis, Muhammad adds chilli extract measuring six million Scovilles.
After Dr Rothwell’s success Muhammad tweeted the news on Bindi’s Twitter account which has led to a flurry of media attention including an article on Mail Online.
Mr Karim said: “We just put it on Twitter and had 18 or 19 different news agencies ringing.
“It seems that it’s big news that the curse of The Widdower has finally been broken.”
- Ex-police cadet from Grantham who filmed himself raping a child is jailed for 16 years
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Lincolnshire Police commissioner and crime panel chairman under fire from MPs in Westminster
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- UPDATE: Seven-year prison term for Grantham man who slashed victim’s face with a knife
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North