Drugs kept man ‘fairly calm’ Grantham magistrates are told
Cannabis plants helped a man control his temper, a court heard on Monday.
Mark Bellamy, 40, of Albert Street, Grantham, admitted growing cannabis in Jubilee Avenue, Grantham, after 14 plants were discovered in a loft conversion during a police raid on October 4.
Eight of the plants were dehydrated but six were growing with the help of equipment and foil.
Bellamy admitted to officers that he had been growing the plants for about four weeks for his own use. The equipment cost him about £2,500.
Rob Arthur, defending, said the business owner should not be charged with cultivating the eight dead plants.
He said that Bellamy’s record spoke volumes because there were a number of violent offences up until 2010.
He said: “Bellamy told me that the reason he started smoking the cannabis was because he realised that the violence went hand in hand with him and alcohol. That’s seen through his record. When he goes out drinking he has a very short fuse.
“He found that as a result of smoking cannabis it kept him fairly calm. The primary reason why he decided to grow his own was to stop him getting in trouble in the city centres.”
Magistrates fined Bellamy £200 and ordered him to pay costs of £85 and £20 victim surcharge.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North