Facebook post sends Grantham war hero viral
A war veteran has gone viral this week after a photo of him selling poppies in the Isaac Newton Shopping Centre was posted on Facebook.
Leslie Gorton, 91, of Redcliffe Road in Grantham, is pictured here with Dean Ward, who posted the picture. It has more than 108,000 likes and more than 3,000 comments.
Mr Gorton said: “The first thing I said when I heard was ‘what is Facebook?’. The biggest surprise was a Facebook connection from Australia. A man was so impressed with the picture that he was going to send £100.”
Mr Gorton joined the Territorial Army in 1939 and retired from service in 1974. His incredible collection of medals are evidence of his remarkable contribution to serving the country.
Dean, 48, of Denton Avenue, said: “It’s an honour to have met him. I was walking by and saw this fantastic looking gentleman doing his bit for the appeal, and saw all his meals, his bling. It was his posture, his stance everything.
“I shook his hand and asked if I could take a photo and put it on the Journal’s Facebook page. What it’s about is getting more money in the tin.”
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: West