Fines issued after Grantham pubs, bars and newsagent sell to underage teens
FOUR Grantham premises must pay £80 each after serving alcohol to under-18s.
The fines followed a joint operation by Lincolnshire Police and Trading Standards on Friday (Aug 3) where 16-year-old volunteers attempted to get served alcohol at Grantham bars, pubs and clubs.
Six establishments refused to serve the teens or asked them for ID but four licensed premises sold to the under-age teens and were given fixed penalty notices.
The King’s Arms and Barcode in Westgate, Gravity in the Market Place and EBL newsagents in Dudley Road all failed the spot checks by serving alcohol to a 16-year-old. EBL newsagents also served the 16-year-old cigarettes.
Insp Rod Rose of Lincolnshire Police said: “Licence holders have a responsibility to ensure that children under 18 are not able to purchase or consume alcohol in their premises.
“There are very real dangers when these youngsters drink alcohol as they often become victims of crime. They are also more likely to commit criminal offences themselves as they do not have the maturity that adults do.
“I urge these licence holders to adopt a more responsible approach to selling alcohol and also ask that parents act responsibly to ensure their children do not buy or consume alcohol.”
The police and Trading Standards will test the businesses again in the future. Should they fail again they will be summonsed to court and could face losing their licences.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North