Government minister calls for public vote on council tax increases as SKDC proposes a rise
A Government minister has called on councils to hold referendums on council tax rises, as SKDC looks set to increase its precept by four per cent.
Communities secretary Eric Pickles has said that councils are “dodging democracy” by not giving people the chance to vote on rises.
Ministers have also said that any council proposing to raise taxes by more than two per cent should hold a public vote.
However the Local Government Association has defended rises, saying councils are under strain due to Government funding cuts.
As reported in the Journal last week, SKDC hopes to increase the Band D level payment by £5 per year. Council leader Linda Neal said that SKDC has been given dispensation by the Government to raise the tax as it is in the bottom 50 councils nationally for the amount of tax it charges for its services.
In response to Mr Pickles’ comments, Councillor Neal said: “The Government has recognised that spending cuts have posed particular difficulties for councils which are already low cost. As a result we are one of only 50 authorities in the country who have been given dispensation to increase their share of the council tax above the nationally prescribed 2 per cent. This is in recognition of the fact that we are a well-run and efficient council.”
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North