Grantham cadets meet elite Red Arrows pilot
CADETS from Grantham enjoyed a fantastic day when they met some of the Red Arrows team.
The Grantham squadron had a weekend packed with activities which included the flight simulator, gym, drill on the station parade square, a visit to Newark Air Museum and a visit to College Hall Officers’ Mess at RAF Cranwell.
During the visit to College Hall Officers’ Mess they were invited to look through all of the official photographs taken over the years of the RAF Red Arrows teams.
During their tour they met former Red Arrows pilot, Squadron Leader Steve Johnson, who spoke to the cadets, explaining how difficult it is to be selected for the elite team of pilots.
Sqn Ldr Johnson once had to eject from his aircraft having hit the top of a yacht mast during an air show in Brighton.
For many cadets this was their first visit to RAF Cranwell and their first visit to the College Hall Officers’ Mess. The next camp at RAF Cranwell is at the end of November.
Officer Commanding 47F Squadron, Flight Lieutenant Gary Allen, said; “This was a fantastic weekend.
“The cadets enjoy camping but the experience of having their own room, hot water and great food was enjoyable for them all.”
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: West