Grantham court: Teenage girl tried to headbutt a police officer
A teenager kicked a police officer in the chest after narrowly missing with an attempted headbutt.
Nicola Deakin, of Stour Court in Grantham, admitted assaulting a police officer and being drunk and disorderly following an incident on February 16 in the town centre.
The court heard that officers were called to Westgate in Grantham after reports of two females throwing punches at one another.
Marie Stace, prosecuting, said the officers arrived to find Deakin “drunk, swaying around and shouting abuse”.
She refused to give officers her name and was verbally abusive to one of the officers “on several occasions”.
Miss Stace said that while a female officer attempted to search Deakin, the 19-year-old attempted to headbutt the officer who “managed to avoid the blow”.
Officers attempted to get Deakin into their car but the teen kicked out, striking the female officer in the chest “just below her throat”, causing the officer to fall back.
In her police interview Deakin said she had no recollection of the events.
Judith Armstrong, defending, said: “She would be the first to come forward and say she has been young and foolish. She is not proud of her actions by any means.”
The court heard Deakin was previously sentenced to a community order for two charges of assaulting a police constable on December 14 of last year.
Chair of magistrates Ian McDonnell ordered a report from the Probation Service but was unhappy the recommendations included no punitive element.
He added: “This is the second offence in 12 months for assaulting a police constable.
“They are public servants. They are not there to be attacked in the street, irrespective of whether she was in drink or not.”
Deakin, 19, was sentenced to a 12-month community order with supervision and alcohol treatment requirements.
Deakin was also sentenced to an 8pm to 6am curfew for four months and must pay £40 in costs and a £60 surcharge.
Mr McDonnell warned Deakin: “You sailed so close to custody.”
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- UPDATE: Seven-year prison term for Grantham man who slashed victim’s face with a knife
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- District Council flag at half-mast marking death of Margaret Thatcher
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 26 mph
Wind direction: North east