Grantham Court: Woman stole days after walking free from court
A woman who received a suspended prison sentence committed two shop thefts just days after walking free from court.
The court was told Nicola Coggin, of Templeway Square in Caythorpe, has 56 previous offences recorded against her including 28 for theft.
Coggin, 35, was sentenced to 12 weeks in custody suspended for 12 months on February 6 for three offences of theft and one of breaching a restraining order.
On February 11 she stole a Gillette razor from Boots in Grantham and a Lynx deodorant and body wash from Poundstretcher in Grantham.
The court heard both thefts were carried out to enable Coggin to buy food and pay for her drug habit.
Chris Pye-Smith, defending, conceded Coggin was in a “precarious position” but argued against her being sent to prison.
Mr Pye-Smith said that at the time of the latest offences Coggin was homeless and “obviously using drugs and offending for that reason”.
However, Mr Pye-Smith said Coggin is benefitting from no longer living in Grantham and has submitted a clean drugs test.
Magistrates decided against activating the suspended sentence due to the progress Coggin has made kicking her drugs habit.
Coggin was warned that the risk of the suspended sentence being activated is still there.
Chair of magistrates Ros Gulson said: “You should be absolutely clear that this is hanging over you.”
Coggin was sentenced to a 14-day curfew between 7pm and 7am.
She was also ordered to pay a £60 surcharge.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Grantham Journal columnist: Jacob Stuart
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North