Grantham is not one of the 12 towns chosen by Mary Portas as a Portas Pilot
GRANTHAM is not on the list of 12 Portas Pilot towns announced today (Saturday).
Twelve towns have been revealed as winners in the pilot scheme launched by retail expert Mary Portas. The winning bids will receive a share of £1.2 million and also get tailored support to help them implement rejuvenation plans.
As reported by the Journal, a bid was submitted by South Kesteven District Council in the hope of winning a slice of cash to invigorate Grantham.
Local Government Minister Grant Shapps said there would be a second batch of 12 pilots announced by the end of July, and the Greater London Authority is funding three more, so there is hope yet that Grantham could receive cash to boost the town.
The winning bids are Bedford in Bedfordshire, Croydon in Greater London, Dartford in Kent, Bedminster in Bristol, Liskeard in Cornwall, Margate in Kent, Market Rasen in Lincolnshire, Nelson in Lancashire, Newbiggin by the Sea in Northumberland, Stockport in Greater Manchester, Stockton on Tees in Teessidee, and Wolverhampton in the West Midlands.
* Are you disappointed Grantham is so far unsuccessful? Would a pot of cash help rejuvenate the town centre? E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ex-police cadet from Grantham who filmed himself raping a child is jailed for 16 years
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- UPDATE: Seven-year prison term for Grantham man who slashed victim’s face with a knife
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 3 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North west