Grantham landlord fined for failing to follow fire rules
A landlord has been ordered by a court to pay almost £8,000 for failing to adhere to fire safety regulations.
Hussein Dag pleaded guilty to six counts of breaching the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
Dag owns property in Westgate, Grantham, and it is this property which Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue found was not suitably safeguarded.
Safety concerns were initially raised during an inspection by fire and rescue officers earlier this year.
Legal action was taken when Mr Dag failed to respond to the emergency service’s attempts to reach him and offer help in putting right the safety flaws.
The case was heard at Grantham Magistrates’ Court, in Harlaxton Road, on December 10.
Dag, from Grantham, was fined £6,000 and told to pay costs of £1,856 and a £15 victim surcharge.
In fining him, the chair of magistrates said: “The legislation applies to all businesses and, because of the use of these premises for sleeping accommodation, the risk in the case of fire was much greater than premises where people are not sleeping and are only present during day-time hours.”
Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 legislation, landlords and other business owners must be able to demonstrate that they have carried out a thorough process to identify fire risks in their property, think about how these may affect guests, and make sure people know what to do in case of fire.
Following the court case, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is urging landlords to ensure they provide tenants with adequate safety measures.
Keiron Davey, from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “Mr Dag’s failure to carry out his obligations placed his tenants at serious risk.
“Some people continue to treat compliance with fire safety legislation as an option – it’s not, as the penalty in this case clearly demonstrates.
“We will continue with our efforts to take action against any business owner who refuses to take their obligations seriously because everyone visiting or staying in business premises is entitled to be safe.”
l Advice on following fire safety legislation is available to landlords and business owners from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue. Anyone wanting help can call 01522 582222.
l Fire safety advice is available online on the organisation’s website. As well as commercial fire safety, there is guidance of fire safety in the home. Find it at http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal columnist: Jacob Stuart
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North