Grantham magistrates told how drugs keep epileptic twitching at bay
A cannabis smoker charged with being in possession of the Class B drug uses it to aid his epilepsy, a court heard.
Stephen Aird, of High Street, Billingborough, appeared at Grantham Magistrates’ Court on Monday where he admitted being in possession of two small bags and a cannabis grinder in Horbling on October 5.
Jim Clare, prosecuting, told the court how police arrived at around 8pm in Stow Lane following reports that drugs were being taken at a 17th birthday party where children were present.
Officers spoke to a group of young people outside on a pathway, away from the party and children, said defence solicitor Stuart Wild.
Aird was searched and the drugs and grinder found. He was arrested and told officers he smokes cannabis as helps with his epilepsy.
Mr Wild said: “Using cannabis alleviates the twitching he would have otherwise.”
Aird was fined £40 and told to pay a £20 victim surcharge. No court costs were ordered due to Aird’s limited means.
The court ordered the destruction of the drugs and grinder.
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- Ex-police cadet from Grantham who filmed himself raping a child is jailed for 16 years
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 3 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: North west