INQUEST: Grantham man died from drug overdose
A man who suffered from an addiction to heroin died from a drug overdose, an inquest into his death heard.
James Mitchell, 35, died at his home in Shakespeare Avenue in Grantham on November 23.
A toxicology report found heroin, methadone and the pain-killer fentanyl in his system at the time of his death.
The inquest heard that Mr Mitchell was suffering great pain from leg ulcers for which he was taking fentanyl.
He also suffered from sleep apnea which was relieved somewhat through an oxygen machine to help him breath at night.
A statement was read out from Mr Mitchell’s father, also called James, who said he was aware of his son’s battle with heroin addiction.
He added: “On the morning of his death he did not go out of the house to my knowledge.
“I’m not aware of him taking heroin that day and I don’t know where he got it from. I can only assume he got it previously and stashed or hoarded it in his room.”
Mr Mitchell’s father also said that he had never known his son to take drugs to harm himself or attempt take his own life.
In summary, coroner Stuart Fisher said: “There is no evidence before me that he intended to take his own life in the form of a note or a discussion with a third party.
“For that reason the verdict is that he died as a result of non-dependant abuse of drugs.”
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Grantham Journal columnist: Jacob Stuart
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North