Maternity closure - Nick Boles: ‘The most important thing is to maintain antenatal and postnatal care’
Grantham MP Nick Boles says he hopes NHS Lincolnshire “does not conclude that they need to close Grantham’s maternity unit”.
However, Mr Boles believes maintaining antenatal and postnatal care at Grantham Hospital is “the most important thing”.
NHS Lincolnshire has said that both antenatal and postnatal care will be kept at Grantham Hospital.
Mr Boles said: “I have full admiration for the people who work at the maternity unit at Grantham Hospital and know how much those who have used the service value the very personal care and support that they provide. Unfortunately very few mothers have been choosing to have their babies there in recent years.
“In these difficult financial times, I understand why the NHS has to look at making savings so that they can invest in services for which the needs are growing, such as dementia care.
“I hope that NHS Lincolnshire does not conclude that they need to close Grantham’s Maternity Unit but the most important thing is that it maintains the very popular antenatal and postnatal care services provided by our wonderful community midwives.”
WHAT DO YOU THINK? E-MAIL: COMMENT@GRANTHAMJOURNAL.CO.UK
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North