DCSIMG

Memory Lane: 100,000 troops moved into Belton Park in 1914

Photo taken by the Journal in 1914 of troops stationed at Belton Park.

Photo taken by the Journal in 1914 of troops stationed at Belton Park.

Belton Park was established as a camp and training ground for the 11th (Northern) Division of Lord Kitchener’s New Army 100 years ago.

The force of 100,000 men were stationed there after Earl Brownlow placed the whole park unreservedly at the disposal of the War Office.

Local labour was employed as far as possible to construct the necessary hutting for the barracks.

The Journal took the above photo of ‘The Cook-House Squad’ of the Royal Engineers with their field oven, who had just moved on to the site.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page