Possession of a pick axe handle charge for former Grantham man
A man was arrested for possession of an offensive weapon after running along a Grantham street carrying a pick axe handle.
Nicholas Ridding, formerly of Uplands Drive in Grantham but now living in Redwing Close, Oakham, was seen on CCTV running along a street towards some shops while carrying the pick axe handle.
Police officers were called to the scene and described Ridding as appearing “very agitated and upset”.
Ridding’s partner then arrived which led to Ridding becoming “extremely aggressive, shouting and screaming”, Jim Clare, prosecuting, told the court. Ridding was then arrested.
Judith Armstrong, defending, told the court Ridding possessed the pick axe handle due to his employment as a ground worker.
Miss Armstrong added that Ridding had abused drugs in the past but had put that behind him which she believed should be viewed as “something of an achievement”.
Ridding, 31, admitted possession of an offensive weapon. He was fined £450 and ordered to pay a £45 surcharge and £85 in costs.
Magistrates ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the pick axe handle.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North