DCSIMG

Six friends rescued as fire breaks out in house in Corby Glen

Fire damage to a home in Station Road, Corby Glen. Photo: MSMP040814-002am EMN-140408-143813001

Fire damage to a home in Station Road, Corby Glen. Photo: MSMP040814-002am EMN-140408-143813001

A woman had to be rescued from her bedroom and five friends led to safety by firefighters after a fire broke out in a Corby Glen house on Saturday morning.

Rosie Spilberg, 22, was asleep in her family home in Station Road when a tumble dryer in the utility room caught fire at about 4am.

Rosie and five friends who were staying at the house were woken up by the fire alarm. But the fire had already taken hold and some of them were trapped upstairs.

The flames were spreading and smoke was filling the house. One of the group called the fire brigade but the Corby Glen Fire and Rescue Co-responders, based nearby, had also heard the alarm and got to the house first.

They were soon joined by fire crews from Corby Glen, Bourne, Grantham and Billingborough.

Rosie’s father, Andrew Shilcock, 46, said she was rescued through her bedroom window while the others were led to safety as firefighters dealt with the fire in the utility room.

Rosie’s father, mother, brother and sister, who also live at the house, were on a camping holiday in Devon when the fire started. They rushed back as soon as they heard what had happened.

Mr Shilcock said: “The firemen got here just in time, from the sounds of it. Rosie was the last one out. It was very hot and smoky in her room, by all accounts. The co-responders said it was the worst fire they have seen in Corby Glen.”

Rosie and her friends were unhurt, save for smoke inhalation.

Mr Shilcock, a television engineer, said: “Rose knows she is lucky to have got out.”

Mr Shilcock, his wife Elly Spilberg and their two other children, Ralph, 16, and Florence, 11, are staying elsewhere in the village while smoke and flood damage to the rest of their house is repaired. They are full of gratitude to the firefighters who saved Rosie and her friends.

Mr Shilcock said: “We had put some money behind the bar for the local lads. And it’s all we can do to stop every fireman we see.

“We’ve lost pretty much everything in the dining room and the kitchen. And there is a lot of smoke damage upstairs. There is soot everywhere.

“But the rest of it is just stuff. The most important thing is that no-one was hurt.”

Mrs Spilberg said: “The fire service have been utterly heroic and we are very grateful to them. They were absolutely amazing.

“This just goes to show how important it is for people to turn off their electrical appliances at night because it’s a reminder of how bad things can be.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page