Steeple damage closes St Vincent’s Church in Caythorpe
CAYTHORPE church was urgently shut down this week after earthquake damage was discovered on the spire.
Steeplejacks were surveying the roof for re-leading when they came across the serious problems with the spire.
The Reverend June Freshney, who looks after St Vincent’s, said: “We’ve had to close the church and the churchyard until remedial work has been done. It was a shock when the architect rang and said it should be closed for safety’s sake. The spire is not in danger of falling but masonry could and from that height it would be dangerous.
“It is because of the work we are having done that they found this awful mess. The architect believes it was earthquake damage from four years ago.”
She hopes the work will be started within the next week to allow the church to reopen.
The initial work will not fix the damage, but will make it safe until the spire can be fully repaired, which will involve removing the top from the church.
Rev Freshney explained: “This will be like splinting a broken leg, so that there’s no more loose masonry. That will make it safe.”
She hopes that the ecclesiastical insurance, which includes earthquake damage, will pay for the repairs.
The church are currently in the process of a claim.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North