Tall ships trip for Grantham girls
WALTON Girls’ High School students Lana Marshall and Phillipa Leadenham have been on the trip of a lifetime on board a 200ft-long tall ship named Stavros S Niarchos.
The pair were among a crew of 45 youngsters aged 16 and 17 from 20 schools across the UK to take part in the Ships Youth Trust Voyage of Achievement.
They set off from Hartlepool earlier this month on the 10-night voyage before heading down the east coast and finishing in Portsmouth this week.
Both of the Walton Girls’ pupils wrote blog entries on their experiences.
Lana said in her entry: “The best parts of the day was going aloft up on the foremast!
“Plus on the 6pm to 8pm watch, I got to go on the helm without the engine, which at first was nerve-wracking but I got the hang of it.”
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- UPDATE: Seven-year prison term for Grantham man who slashed victim’s face with a knife
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west