Three-month curfew for £446 cheque fraud
Altering a cheque with the intention of gaining £446.63 landed a man with a three month curfew.
Adrian Scott, 35, was living in Harrowby Road, Grantham, when the cheque from Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) was posted to his house. He admitted stealing it and fraudulently trying to claim the money.
He claimed that he did not know the addressee but she claimed it had been arranged that he would accept her mail.
Scott photocopied the cheque, changing the name and National Insurance number to his own before putting it into the self-service machine at Barclays Bank, in Grantham High Street on February 7.
When a member of staff opened the machine they noticed the cheque and contacted HMRC.
Giles Tyas, defending, said the fraud and theft of the cheque was opportunistic to help him with money problems.
He said: “Scott saw the cheque for someone else, had photocopied it and gone to the bank and attempted to pay it in.
“He’s been out of work now for a year. He saw an opportunity which he shouldn’t have taken. He needed the £450 to keep the wolf from the door.”
Magistrates put Scott, who now lives in Breakwater Bungalows, Sutton on Sea, on a six month community order with a three month curfew between 7pm and 7am.
- Grantham Journal Picture of the Week
- Ambulance service fined £3.5 million after missing targets
- Good news follows bad for Grantham councillor Ray Wootten
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Mother’s plea for the return of items stolen from Grantham home
- Grantham Museum to offer book of condolence for Margaret Thatcher
- Baroness Thatcher dies at 87
- Grantham Journal remembers Baroness Thatcher’s last town visit
- First concert of Harlaxton Manor classical music season is out of this world
- Councillor calls for Grantham to make the most of Margaret Thatcher links
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North