VIDEO: Grantham-born Global Swim has now raised more than £100,000
An international event born right here in Grantham has raised in excess of £100,000 in just two years.
Saturday’s event - the second ever Rotary Global Swimarathon - has raised around £50,000 so far, the majority of which will go towards helping eradicate polio.
In Grantham around 70 people came along to the Meres to take part in the event, founded by the Rotary Club of Grantham in 2012 to help raise £600 locally.
Rotary Clubs from around the globe accepted the invitation from Grantham to take part in the event, from Australia to India and Brazil.
Roger Graves of the Rotary Club of Grantham said: “We were the head office for the world on Saturday.
“We hope the event will continue to get bigger and we are delighted with the result from the weekend - particularly the fact that more and more clubs have joined in.
“Grantham really is the home of the Grantham Rotary Swimarthon worldwide.”
Around 7,500 swimmers around the world have now taken part in the Rotary Global Swimarathon in just two years.
Next year’s world event is already planned for Sunday, February 23, 2014.
- Ex-police cadet from Grantham who filmed himself raping a child is jailed for 16 years
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick says he has no intention of resigning and has a good relationship with Neil Rhodes
- Grantham Journal Letter: ‘Poor political performance triggers cynicism’
- Grantham school bids to take an extra 100 pupils
- UPDATE: Seven-year prison term for Grantham man who slashed victim’s face with a knife
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Grantham
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 3 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North west