Lucky escape for homeowner as fire destroys a Jaguar and a Mercedes-Benz

The Mercedes-Benz ML280 was one of two cars destroyed in the fire on Sunday.
The Mercedes-Benz ML280 was one of two cars destroyed in the fire on Sunday.
0
Have your say

A FREAK fire wrecked two cars and stopped just short of a village home on Sunday afternoon.

The fire, believed to have been caused by an electrical fault, began inside a large garage separate from the house in Dembleby, east of Grantham, at around 3.30pm on Sunday.

A silver Jaguar XKR convertible was parked in the garage at the time was completely destroyed in the fire. A plastic oil container holding 1,600 litres of heating oil was also in the garage which increased the ferocity of the blaze.

The homeowners only became aware of the fire when the brick garage collapsed, spreading the fire to a nearby Mercedes ML280 4x4 parked on the drive.

Five fire engines were called to the scene to tackle the fire with only minor damage caused to the house.

Dembleby is a small village of just a dozen homes off the A52 between Grantham and Sleaford.

FOR MORE ON THIS STORY, SEE THIS FRIDAY’S GRANTHAM JOURNAL