MR Harry Brown, of Hillside Drive, Grantham, has died in Grantham Hospital. He was 95.
Born in the family farmhouse at Weston Hills, near Spalding, he was the third son of George and Ellen Patience Brown.
He attended Weston Hills Church of England School, leaving at the age of 14. He then started work on the family farm, joining his two elder brothers. His eldest brother left the business to farm on his own when he married.
In 1938 Mr Brown and his brother, Cyril, expanded the business by buying a farm at Gedney Marsh, which Cyril farmed, leaving him in control of the original family farm.
In 1946 he married his beloved wife, Eva May Cowlen, whose father farmed the neighbouring farm. The family grew very quickly and they soon had two daughters, Heather and Lindsay.
In 1955 the business was further expanded and he rented and moved to a larger farm at Billingborough, near Sleaford. Shortly after that the partnership was dissolved and he continued farming at Billingborough on his own, which was both successful and satisfying, but for the tragic death of his daughter, Heather, in a road accident in 1965.
He farmed at Hurn Farm, Billingborough, from 1955 until his retirement in 1987, aged 70. During this time he was active in many aspects of village and local country life. He served as a councillor on South Kesteven Rural District Council in Bourne; was a member of Billingborough Parish Council; served on St Andrew’s Church Parochial Church Council; and was a school manager and later a school governor for Billingborough Primary School. During the 1970s and early 1980s he also served on the NFU committee in Bourne.
In addition to holding these offices, he served as deputy churchwarden from 1971 until he was elected churchwarden in 1979. he resigned from this office in 1983 and resumed duties as deputy churchwarden until 1987, when he retired and moved to Hillside Drive, Grantham. He and his wife quickly integrated into St Anne’s Church, joined Probus Clubs, and Mr Brown continued his active involvement with the Freemasons, having been a Mason for over 40 years.
In his retirement he and Eva played indoor bowls, becoming members of Grantham Indoor Bowls Club.
Throughout their married life they travelled extensively, including a period when they were active members of the Carlight Caravan Club. This included a round-the-world trip which incorporated flying to and caravanning in various continents. Driving was one of his great loves as was dining out, both of which he and his wife did frequently.
The funeral service was held at St Anne’s Church, Grantham, conducted by the Rev John Spriggs. A private family cremation service followed.
Family mourners included: Eva Brown, Lindsay and Bill Atkinson, Les Cowlen, Marie Lane, Phyllis Herbert, Adrian Herbert, Sib and Horace Stennett, Mavis Cowlen, Roger and Paula Brown, Mr and Mrs Bell and Gerry Burrows.
Other mourners included: Derek and Jean Large, Terry Copestake, Philip and Jenny Chapman, Barbara Young, Sue Woollas, Joan Mattinson, Jeff Finch, Eric Smethurst, Neville Peatman, Mrs R. Clemance, Anthony Gostick, Robert Spruth, Maureen Dawson, Dorothy Nix, Mrs D. Lambley (Probus Club of Grantham), Marion and Hugh Mair, Mr Roberts, Cynthia Treggiden, Ian Hutchinson, Mr B. Richardson, Jane Sharp, Sally Thompson, Janet Rogers, Annise Rogers, Dave Cattermole, Jeff and Janet Thompson, Canon Peter Hearn, Kathleen and Basil Hardy, George Buxton, John and Muriel Goodacre, David Baxter, Trevor and Wendy Johnston, Jim Doran, Roy Ingamells, Sue Whiting, Margaret Galvin, Kevin Roberts, Betty Repton, Tony Ling, Mary Kennedy, Betty Elliott, Joan Booth, Steve De Visme, Mr D. Griffin, Dennis Willoughby, Muriel Short, Kathy Caley, David Sprawson, Keith Streets, Audrey Bellamy, Liz and Peter Bailey, Mr and Mrs A. Clark, Barry Upton, Sam and Helen Walton, John Hockin, Col Bell, Mary Necklen, Don Griffin, George Black, Bob Bone and Ann Spriggs.
Funeral arrangements were by Robert Holland, St Catherine’s Road, Grantham.
Donations were received for The Dystonia Society.