MR Raymond Arthur Collins, of Ermine Close, Ancaster, has died in Grantham Hospital. He was 85.
He was born in July 1926, in Sherwood, Nottingham. He had an older brother and sister, Denis and Gwen and a younger sister, Gill.
His schooling took place at Haydn Road Infant School, followed later by attendance at the council school opposite. He showed a talent for most sports, his favourite being soccer, followed closely by cricket and he spent much of his time in Woodthorpe Park.
At the age of 11 he won a scholarship to High Pavement Grammar School, Nottingham, During the Second World War he was evacuated to Mansfield, where he attended King George IV School. He returned to Nottingham approximately six months later.
On leaving school he became an apprentice at the Royal Ordnance Factory as a detail-fitter. He went on to become a toolmaker, working for engineering firms in Nottingham.
He enjoyed cricket and became a very skilful middle order batsman and opening bowler.
He met Kathleen Smith at a tea dance in the tea rooms in Mapperly in the 1940s and they were married at St Paul’s Church, Daybrook in June 1948. Their son Philip was born in 1956, followed by daughter, Wendy in 1958. Mr Collins was very devoted to his children. He later had two grandchildren, Chris and Sarah, followed by a great-grandaughter, Freya.
His wife Kathleen predeceased him in September 2009.
The family moved to Ancaster in 1964 and Mr Collins was employed at Barfords of Belton. His work took him to Germany, Ireland, Iran and Morocco, inspecting premises and firms who wanted to build the Barford of Belton products. He became responsible for the planning of the machine shop. Two years later he was made chief planning engineeer, followed by elevation to production and works engineer. He remained with the company until he was made redundant in 1979.
Mr Collins next took employment with British Leyland Technology in Gaydon, Warwick, as plant engineering manager, where he worked until the age of 62.
Employment followed at Austin Rover until once again he was made redundant. He found short-term work as a night porter at the King’s Hotel, Grantham, until getting employment at William Saunders, consulting engineers, in Newark.
Mr Collins next became clerk of works for the new North Kesteven Council Offices in Sleaford.
In 1991 he went to Birmingham to work for a firm as project manager and after that he worked for Crystal Motors, Grantham, delivering cars all over England, until finally retiring in 2002.
In his earlier days Mr Collins had worked part-time as a youth leader in Ancaster, Bassingham and Warwick.
In later life he enjoyed going on coach trips.
The funeral service was held at St Martin’s Church, Ancaster, conducted by the Rev Alan Littlewood. Burial followed in Ancaster cemetery.
Family mourners included: Philip Collins, Wendy Milner, Alan Milner, Chris Milner, Sarah Milner, Freya Milner, Rebecca Collins, Gill Robinson and David Robinson.
Other mourners included: John Gamwell, Margaret Counihan, Pamela and David Leamy, Royce Marshall, Pat Thomas, Mr and Mrs Parr, Steven and Rebecca Newton, Jean Leonard and Carole Mackinder,
Funeral arrangements were by Robert Holland, St Catherine’s Road, Grantham.
Donations were received for the British Heart Foundation.