MRS Edith Winifred Parr, of Greenhill Road, Grantham, has died in Grantham Hospital. She was 97.
She was born at 101 Alexandra Road, Grantham, the home of her grandmother, and was the daughter of Alfred and Elizabeth Swain, of Denton, and the eldest of nine children.
On leaving school at the age of 14 she went into domestic service with Miss Cecelia Smith, then residing in Wide Westgate, Grantham, and remained in her employ until her death in 1938.
In 1940 she married Reginald, who was a painter and decorator. He was conscripted into the Army and she was employed at BMARC, where she operated a machine producing the inserts for machine gun bullets.
She left the company in 1943 and in December of that year her son Roderick was born. Another son Christopher followed in January 1946.
Following the death of her husband in 1955, she went on to work for the School Dinners Service and further domestic service. Her last employment was at the Georgian residence of John Lowe, who was a rubber plantation director in Malaya.
Mrs Parr had always enjoyed knitting and in her retirement she knitted baby vests for the Mother Theresa charity based in Calcutta. In all she knitted more than 500.
She enjoyed holidays in Scarborough, Devon and Cornwall, and later with her grandsons Rowan and Laurie in the Lake District and Wales. She went to America three times to visit her sister Gwen in Indiana.
The Rev John Bruce conducted the funeral service at St Andrew’s Church, Denton. Burial followed in Grantham cemetery.
Family mourners included: Roderick Parr, Christopher Parr and Andrea Sevier, Rowan and Kerry Parr, Lochlan and Breagha Parr, Laurie and Emma Parr. Mrs Parr’s sister Gwen, in America, was unable to attend due to ill-health.
Other mourners included: Michael and Kay Swain, Joan Swain, Gwen Brooks, Jack and Pam Swain, Barry and Joan Askew, Richard Swain, Lorraine Lancaster, Pam McCabe, Roger McCabe, John and Margaret Cragg, Ann Clark, John Hedworth, Terry and Gay Hallam, Margaret Ward and Brian Swain.
Funeral arrangements were by Robert Holland, St Catherine’s Road, Grantham.
Donations were received for the National Osteoporosis Society and Dementia UK.